Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Friday May 27: Atlanta to Asheville

Today we went to the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial. What I found most interesting about the memorial is that they portrayed MLK as a man rather than an untouchable hero. They showed his weaknesses in that he gave up time with his children to fight for what he believed in. They spoke about when he was to the point where he was ready to give up. They also had information about his wife, Rosa Parks, and Gandhi. You got to tour the church he preached in as well as his father and his grandfather. You also had the opportunity to see where he was born.

After we finished up at the memorial we headed back on the road to Asheville. We took the scenic route which in 50/50 hindsight might not had been the best for my tummy as it got extremely upset with me. Then my road partners got upset with me (and me with them) when I had to ask to stop to use the restroom about 10 miles out from Asheville. So we stop, I go into the restroom and miracles of miracles there is a stall open; however, to my dismay there is not toilet seat on the toilet. Now while I will try some new things that is not one of them...so I had to wait for the other stall to come open.

We finally arrived at our hotel in Asheville...the only one that had 2 queen beds. Bless their souls. We went out to dinner at the Mellow Mushroom. We had been seated outside until it started to rain at which point we moved ourselves inside, despite the fact that Lis thought it would just be a light shower. Who wants soggy pizza? We had a lovely dinner and then walked around the town for a bit. We saw a miniature drum circle with people dancing around them. We also saw the crunchy granola-ness of the town. :) Then it was off to bed for the three of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment