Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Saturday May 28th THE BILTMORE

Today we spent the entire day at the Biltmore. It was so fantabulous. The architecture, the furnishings, the history, and the art work. I could picture myself walking down the halls in a big skirt all layered up. Of course I always picture myself as a guest rather than what I would most likely be...the help. Even the help appeared to be treated well for the period. Every servant bedroom had a window which of course had an excellent view from it. Also it turns out that the Vanderbilts were dog lovers as they had 5 (that's right, 5) Saint Bernard's. One of the Saint Bernards was named Cedric and he has a statue as well as a tavern named after him in the local village. We toured the grounds, gardens, ponds, etc. I took a lot of pictures.

We also went into Antler Hill Village. We saw a farm and got to go through the petting zoo. We also saw a blacksmith at work and he played the anvil for us. It was a much prettier sound than I had expected. The blacksmith was interesting because not only was he making these really cool objects by hand, but his family had been blacksmiths for hundreds of years, he spoke like my dad (but with a southern accent) and he could touch some really hot metal.

After the Biltmore we went back to the hotel to rest a bit and then took ourselves out to the Three Little Pigs for BBQ. It was yet another good meal for us where we were stuffed full of gooey BBQ goodness.

This was the only day on the trip where I developed a sunburn...although a mild one and pretty much just around my shoulders.

After dinner we hunted up a post box to send out our postcards (which will arrive after our return from vacation, but oh well). We then went to bed...until 3 am when Morgan woke us from a dead sleep when she cried out. I thought we were being attacked...Lis thought a mouse was after us...Morgan just wanted the light on. Turns out something had startled her in her dream and no it was not about the ghost tour (which I was relieved by because otherwise she would never let it go that I had made them do that). After this we all went back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment